Saturday 25 July 2020

"Liberation Through Constraint"



In America, wearing face masks has become a political issue. President Donald Trump has refused to mandate the wearing of masks for he wants Americans to have "a certain freedom".

Indeed the face mask constraints. On my cheat days, I reach for the more comfortable but wasteful surgical mask, leaving the restrictive but environmentally-friendly reusable cloth mask in my drawer, with some guilt. 

Yet the face mask also liberates.

In my commutes on the public transport these days, I find myself absolutely enjoying every minute having a face mask on. I can now smile whole-heartedly to myself without worrying if I look like a Pollyanna as I listened to that heartwarming podcast. I can also tear unabashedly with no cares in the world when I am moved by those heartstrings-tugging lines in my book. No one knows and there's absolutely no need to restrain myself -- what a joy that is (try it if you haven't already done so)!

And that, I thought, sums up for me what it means for liberation to happen when there is constraint.

This concept of "liberation through constraint" first crept up on me during the circuit breaker when like many who suddenly find themselves having that bit more time on their hands, I took a dive and plunge into the world of learning a new skill -- writing flash fiction.

Flash fiction is the name for the shortest of the short story where a whole new world can be created using 1500 or just 10 words, however one likes it to be. My masterclass teacher joyfully proffered this quote over Zoom, as she raved about this art form which she adored. Though short, she said, the length constraint is actually a liberation, for it gives one the permission to let go of what the story doesn’t need, while at the same time not sacrificing richness of  descriptions and details. British writer Davkd Gaffney once said when there are fewer unnecessary words to wade through, there is "more room to think, more room for the original idea to resonate". It shouldn't be too alien a concept for me since the short-and-sweet principle applies too when writing picture book stories. Yet the quote still sounds very oxymoron -- for how does the act of restraining oneself leads to liberation?

During these past few months where everyone tries their utmost best to adjust to the new norms, that quote becomes more illuminating. 

The constraints imposed on us during the near two-months long circuit breaker and during this Phase 2 have forced us to reinvent ourselves in ways we haven't previously thought we could. It tears apart what we know so well and forces us to break through the frames we are so used to functioning within. In the process, that liberates our being and our soul.

This was expressed so well by a qipao tailor, Ms Josephine Teo, who offers bespoke tailoring services and recently featured in The Straits Times. Because she needed to stop all in-person consultations (which bespoke services thrives on) during the circuit breaker, she attempted to do 'virtual fittings', guiding her clients over video calls to take measurements of themselves and discussed preferences of intricate details that will go into the making of their cheongsams virtually. She described it a "breakthrough" in her trade when she realised her deftness and expertise in her trade has made it possible to get a cheongsam done even without meeting customers. A local art gallery Ode to Art came up with the idea of offering a digital concierge service that provides personal consultations to collectors using online tools such as Zoom to ensure some online sales. 

During my last trip to Japan, I ventured into a bonsai shop tucked in the midst of the Arashiyama bamboo forest and chanced upon the quote in the picture above. May we, like the bonsai, continue to express our dynamism as we find our place in these new norms. 


No comments:

Post a Comment