Saturday 17 December 2011

Introducing myself


It has been around less than a month since I stopped work and every day has been a very interesting and fruitful affair in different, colourful ways. I think I can do this for a long time. 

But one thing I have yet to think about and figure out is how to introduce myself when I meet new people, for I can no longer deem myself as part of the erm, normal species in this world who hold a job. This came to me when I met someone new the other day and realised I was at a loss at how to introduce myself when I was asked what I do. 

I replied that I was ‘in-between jobs’. But after saying it, I felt that was a half-truth as it ain’t as if there is a job waiting for me after my break, hence I figured that was the egoistic part of me talking. I think my new-found friend saw through it for I was asked next what I did previously (as this seemed the polite thing to do). 

This defensive aspect could possibly reveal a sense of guilt that I feel for not having a job  – which reminds me of a conversation I had with a dear friend who is also doing what I am now (except that she REALLY has a job to go back to after a few months’ leave). :P 

Hence, I think I need to seriously think about my way of expressions to be used in the next few months, which I have narrowed to these few options:

1) “I am currently not working, but I used to be a teacher.”

This sounds quite in the face and I didn’t like the use of the coordinating conjunction ‘but’ as it sounded like I am rationalising (though I am).

2) “I am now taking a break. I was previously teaching.”

This sounds a more polished and sophisticated version. I quite like the fact that I didn’t refer to myself as ‘a….’ as the use of it in version 1 sounded like being a teacher is an act that I can put on and take off easily, which I don’t feel comfortable as teaching is part of me and I love it, just that I needed a break. 

I can’t wait to try it out on the next person who throws me the question!

No comments:

Post a Comment